There are many reasons why people burn incense, whether it be for spiritual purposes or simply to bring an uplifting aroma or moment of peace to their stressful day.
However, it’s important to note that lit incense is technically on fire and can be dangerous. I feel it’s important to practice safety measures while burning incense, so I created this guide to provide some insight explain how to burn incense safely.
Table of Contents
Incense Safety Tips
- Always keep in mind that lit incense is hot. Very hot. Do not try to touch the lit portion of an incense stick for any reason. Another thing to be careful about is when using lit charcoal to burn incense. Charcoal burns even hotter, up to 1500 degrees fahrenheit, and can be quite dangerous if not handled correctly.
- Incense sticks can easily burn holes into clothing or other textiles. Some examples of these include tapestries, curtains, wall hangings, carpets, and other similar decorations. So, be sure to keep your lit incense in a location where it will not damage any of your belongings. Always be conscious of the atmosphere surrounding your lit incense.
- After lighting your incense, be sure your incense burner is adequately heat-resistant. This prevents any possible fires.
- If you are asthmatic, then you should probably refrain from burning incense. Likewise, if you are pregnant, it is recommended to talk to a doctor before burning incense.
- Never try to ingest incense or any related compounds. It is also important to keep them out of reach of your pet, to prevent them from eating it as well. Incense is not an edible compound, and is strictly for burning.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some questions we are frequently asked regarding incense safety.
Should You Open a Window When Burning Incense?
Yes, you should open a window when burning incense to make sure you have some ventilation flowing throughout the room. This will help ensure the smoke won’t build up continuously within the room.
Is Incense a Fire Hazard?
Yes, incense could potentially be a fire risk.
You should never leave incense burning unattended.
Always be sure to keep your eye on it and keep it away from flammable materials.
Is it Safe to Sleep With Incense Burning?
No. Make sure you extinguish your incense stick before going to sleep.
Never leave burning incense unattended.
Is it Safe to Burn Incense Around Pets?
No. It is not recommended to burn incense around your pets. Birds in particular are highly susceptible to the smoke created by incense. Even cats or dogs can be sensitive to incense smoke. Try to burn incense in a separate area from your pets.
I hope you found this article helpful.
This article was updated on 07/31/2020.