The scent of incense is loved by many. Their ability to lift our mood and make life more tolerable are often undeniable. While making your own incense sticks may not seem appealing to some, others would love to experience a craft which has been passed down from generation to generation over the history of mankind.
Unfortunately, making incense sticks the authentic way can be burdensome. Some people might even think ‘There has got to be a better way’. Well, there is. You can dip pre-made sticks into essential oil blends and have fresh-dipped incense ready to burn.
Table of Contents
You Will Need:
- Unscented incense sticks.
- Essential oils.
- A dish long enough to put the incense sticks in, but it should also be shallow in relation to the quantity of incense sticks you wish to soak, so you do not have to waste materials.
- Tinfoil (optional).
How to Make Incense Sticks
Once you have everything together in one place, you can simply put your oils or fragrances into the dish and soap your incense sticks. If you do not have a dish, you could use tinfoil instead, by folding it into a V shape.
One incense stick often incorporates about 20 drops of essential oil or fragrance.
- If you have not done this procedure before, it is recommended to start with one incense stick. This is so you can not only get the procedure right and gain some expertise, but because essential oil blends are hard to get right. Starting with one incense stick allows you to make sure you have everything in order and will like the final product. Once you get the blend perfected, you can make more incense sticks.
- Dipped incense such as these usually does not last quite as long as incense which incorporates real resins, flowers, and spices such as traditional masala incense. Over time, if not stored perfectly, the oil will begin to evaporate and degrade, losing it’s scent. The plus side to this, is that you can always re-dip them, so the product is usually salvageable.
- Soaking incense sticks in essential oil can often use a lot of material. If you would like to make the most out of your essential oils or fragrance, then you could apply the oils to your incense sticks using an eyedropper.